Her Excellency, Aung San Suu Kyi
Prime Minister / State Councillor of Myanmar
CC Htin Kyaw, President of Myanmar
Dear Ms Kyi
I have had the pleasure of knowing you in absentia, mainly through your troubles and pains that have been in the news for long. I understand you are a Theravada Buddhist, and believe, among other things in the following four levels of supramundane wisdom:
- Stream-Enterers: Those who have destroyed the first three fetters (false view of Self, doubt, and clinging to rites and rituals);[web 14][web 15]
- Once-Returners: Those who have destroyed the first three fetters and have lessened the fetters of lust and hatred;
- Non-Returners: Those who have destroyed the five lower fetters, which bind beings to the world of the senses;
- Arahants: Those who have reached Enlightenment—realized Nirvana, and have reached the quality of deathlessness—are free from all the fermentations of defilement. Their ignorance, craving and attachments have ended
I understand your life has been full of pain, and that nearing old age, you have an opportunity to serve your people and the world at large.
I am from Pakistan, a Muslim, however, with keen interest and devotion to studying other faiths and customs, admire Buddhism and Zen teachings for their focus on inner peace and tranquility that transcends like a cloud cover on a beautiful forest in a valley.
My countrymen are perturbed and disturbed on the treatment of Rohingya Muslims in your nation as covered in many news items,
- CNN says 30,000 Rohingyas trapped without food http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/04/asia/rohingya-refugees-myanmar-military/index.html
- The Guardian (UK) writes your government has blocked all aid to Rohingyas https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/04/myanmar-blocks-all-un-aid-to-civilians-at-heart-of-rohingya-crisis
- The Daily Mail writes on the Bangladeshis turning the Rohingyas away http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-4850596/Bangladesh-forces-2-000-Rohingya-remote-island.html
Now, my people, the Pakistanis, are an amazing lot I must say! When the Arabs disowned Palestine in the Israel – Palestine conflict of decades, Pakistani people went out on the street to protest, when Babri Mosque in India was being demolished, it was Pakistanis who cried and shouted in pain, for Kashmir, every now and then we have rallies and speeches, and seminars, and when Rohingyas suffered in your country, yesterday or today, the Pakistanis stood side by side with them.
It is another story that the SAME Pakistanis make NO NOISE on the most corrupt, inept, dishonest and criminal rulers for 70 years! Maybe someone should tell them the phrase “charity begins at home”? Were it not for a madman called Imran Khan, good looking sportsman and philanthropist who shook the corridors of power, none would have given a damn.
It is easy, for an average Pakistani, to make a “bad guy” of you (Myanmar for Rohingyas) or Israel (for mistreating Palestinians) or India (for not giving the Kashmiris their “rights”) but certainly far more difficult to stage ONE protest against corruption and killing of their own people in their own lands that I often speak about at https://gadhapartyblog.wordpress.com/ (GadhaParty) the suffering of men, women, children, the 98% poor seemingly make NO DIFFERENCE to an average, patriotic, devout Muslim Pakistani in the hands of mostly fellow Muslims at home, but you, Madam, a Buddhist, or Modi, a Hindu, or Benjamin Netanyahu, a Jewish fellow must be taken to task for their “crimes against humanity” whilst the crimes of our own against own are not deserving of any attention.
Because we Pakistanis do NOT consider our own suffering people as “humans”.
Yes, the Rohingyas are human, so are the Kashmiris, or the Palestinians, but the poor suffering and dying namelessly in Lahore or Karachi or the streets of Pindi are not deserving of our attention. No Madam, they are not humans.
Thus hypocrisy is our forte.
But is it yours too Ms Kyi? as the second line of your faith description proclaims:
Once-Returners: Those who have destroyed the first three fetters and have lessened the fetters of lust and hatred
Now I assume (without the usual connotation thereof) that you, Ms Kyi are above hate.
And if it is so then perhaps don’t you think you and your government need a rethink on how barbarically, inhumanly and savagely you are handling the Rohingyas? Certainly not at all aligned with YOUR faith, forget about ours (as claimed) or theirs?
I do hope you, Ms Kyi, will rise above self, doubt, rites & rituals and lessened lust and hate… and treat the Rohingyas as your own
I hope you, and the world will get my message, my Pakistani friends are indeed imperfect and put to fault for not putting their own house in order, but that does not, in any way absolve you, or Israel or India of furthering hate either. True you may not be satisfied with the behaviour of your “subjects” but to submit them to inhumane treatment and torture, that, too is not entirely humane.
Or is it, Your Excellency, Aung San Suu Kyi???
BlahBlah.info +1 516 986 5055 / +92 320 534 5555 firstname.lastname@example.org